Friday, October 2, 2009

The new kids in the class

This new school year has been hard. As teachers, the work is never done. There is always planning and paperwork and tweaking lessons and grading and parent meetings. Then there is the extra that the county and administration demand, and this year it is overwhelming. If I was a beginning teacher, I don't think I would be able to handle it. I would have decided this teaching idea was a bad one and gone off to find a job with more pay and less work. However, after much pushing and pulling and even some bribing, and crying tears of frustration, this class is finally pulling together as a team, and as third graders in their own way. It is simply wonderful. These new kids in my room, don't feel like the new kids anymore, they feel like my kids and I am in heaven. I wasn't sure it was going to happen this year. I was wondering if this teaching gig was over for me. I have promised myself that when I am no longer having fun, I will quit teaching and find another job. I thought it might be time. However, I called upon my ever-faithful God for a new attitude, I found some time and ways to connect with these little people, and alas, again, I am in love. These sweet, funny, smart, quirky children have stolen my heart. And, because it took a little longer than usual, I think the love may be a little stronger. Could it be I'm loving this job more? With all the demands and craziness and never-ending time crunch, I'm loving it more? I am a gluton for punishment. And loving every minute.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Praise God. I'm glad everything is coming together this year. It was so great to spend some time with you today.

    ReplyDelete