Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sick or Rejuvination? Both.

My little man has been healthy this entire school year. I have actually accumulated some sick days. So, I wasn't completely bewildered when he walked into the diningroom at 10pm and preceeded to vomit all over himself and the floor. If the timing of a sick child can be good, then this was good timing. We only had a half day at school the following day, so I quickly scheduled a sub, threw some plans together and headed to bed with a cool washcloth to wipe the moderate fever away from my sweet boy's face.
We were up quite a bit in the night with pain and more vomiting, and by morning he seemed to be on the mend. After a quick jaunt to drop Sis off and set up the kids for the sub and the sub for the kids, we came home. The fact that he was recovering from a virus, was not wonderful. But, spending the day laying on the couch, giving sips of water, making dry toast, actually reading a book for pleasure, was wonderful. When he fell asleep at 4pm, I didn't attempt to wake him in fear of the night sleep being adversly affected. I let him sleep. I sent some e-mails, I read a newspaper and a magazine. I did some laundry. I cleaned the kitchen. I did some plans for next week. I read more of my pleasure book. Then the most amazing thing happened; I began to feel bored. Bored! .... Me! .... Bored! I was delighted. I haven't been bored in years. No exaggeration what so ever. I'm a single parent, teacher, 10 year church member - I never get bored. I.....was.....bored. I could have cleaned more. I could have done some more work. I decided instead, to delight in the boredom. I let it soak in to my being. And then, I smiled. Boredom can be wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, poor little guy. I'm glad he was feeling a little better today. I'll come to one of his games when he's feeling really well and we can get some cute pictures.

    I'm glad you were able to get some things done around the house and become bored!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete